St. James’ Cemetery
St. James’ Cemetery is a non-denominational cemetery located near Roseneath, Ontario, in the beautiful rolling hills of Northumberland County. Founded in 1863 by pioneer families who recognized the needs of a growing community. The cemetery is nestled amongst family farms and small woodlots away from all urban development. It provides a pristine, pastoral and dignified resting place. We offer four options for a peaceful resting place with the opportunity to select from traditional and cremation lots, a scatter garden and eco-friendly burial sites.
The Original Cemetery
Dating from 1863, the original cemetery is similar to other traditional cemeteries established by community pioneers. It has monuments dating back over 100 years and is located adjacent to the church.
Cremation lots are located in an area surrounded by trees. Lots are 1M x 2M allowing for up to four urns or 1M x 1M for up to two urns. All monuments and markers must comply with the by-laws.
All interment materials must be completely biodegradable and eco-friendly. There can be no synthetic materials or metals used in the fabrication or decoration of the coffin or container. The site is seeded to native grasses and wildflowers to provide natural habitat. The grass will be clipped infrequently primarily to control unwanted invasive plant species. Whenever possible, clipping will be timed to minimize the impact on birds which nest in meadows. All Markers will be of natural stone and comply with clauses in the by-laws.
Scatter Memorial Garden
The Scatter Garden has turf grass and a few shrubs growing in it. A patch of sod will be lifted in order to scatter the ashes and then the sod patch will be replaced to grow again. No scattering of ashes is allowed other than within the Scatter Garden. A stone monument is located at the entrance to the Scatter Garden to allow for plaques.
Cemetery Contact Information
For more information about our burial options, please contact Judy Hardy, Cemetery Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org or Gerald Beavan, Director at 905-352-2382.